Contributed by Jamestown Town Hall:
We are looking for volunteer Grant Assistants to help residents apply for the Greater Jamestown Community Fund. Please note that you cannot apply for funding and be a Grant Assistant. Please see the position description below. Thank you!
Grant Assistants for the Greater Jamestown Community Fund
This critical volunteer position will assist Jamestown residents in applying for funding from the Greater Jamestown Community Fund. The goal of the fund is to provide financial support of up to $5,000 directly to individual residents who sustained profound losses in the September floods. The application consists of a form as well as a written narrative and any attachments deemed to be relevant. All residents’ applications must be submitted by January 24th, 2014.
The Grant Assistant will assist residents in completing the application form and submitting all required and relevant paperwork in a timely manner to meet this deadline. An Advisory Committee will then anonymously review all applications and make funding decisions by February 4th, 2014.
Ideal Volunteer: Will possess excellent interpersonal skills, strong written and verbal communication skills, and will agree to maintain confidentiality. A high degree of tact, patience, and understanding is also required—the residents have been through a significant trauma. This role requires arranging meetings and traveling to meet with residents. This volunteer will not be engaged in manual labor. The main tasks of the Grant Assistants will include:
- Having a solid understanding of the application requirements.
- Scheduling appointments to meet with residents in person (or over the phone, if necessary).
- Assisting the resident in completing all information required on the application form.
- “Interviewing” the resident to gather information to write a narrative.
- Writing a brief but compelling narrative that tells the resident’s particular story and describes their specific situation, losses, and needs. And then providing a draft to the resident for their approval.
- Following through and ensuring that the application is complete, including completed form, written narrative, and relevant attachments.
- Ensuring that the resident is able to submit the application package within the required time-frame assisting them, if necessary.
Time Commitment: Schedule will vary according to the meeting set between the resident and the Grant Assistant. However, applications are due on January 24, 2014; therefore all work must be completed before this date.
Interested persons should contact nina.andaloro at jamestownco.org for an interview.